Fire safety this Christmas
Wishing you a very Happy Christmas.
Christmas is a magical time of year with Christmas trees, festive lights and candles burning, but care is needed to protect your family from fire hazards. CSS Signs produce a wide range of Fire Signs for the home and the work place.
See some tips below to help keep your family safe this Christmas.
- – Buy your decorations and tree from a reputable/trustworthy source and check that the items have a relevant safety symbol.
- – Make sure your decorations and artifical tree are fire resistant – this will help reduce the risk of them catching fire, but every care still needs to be taken.
- – If your tree is real; be aware that some are sprayed with chemicals to prevent the needles from shedding. These chemicals could be flammable. Also remember the drier the tree the more of a fire hazard it is.
- – Position your tree safely and securely and away from door ways, passage ways, fire, radiators and heaters.
- – Check lights are working properly before you use them.
- – Only buy Christmas lights from a reputable source and make sure they have a relevant safety symbol.
- – If putting lights outdoors, check first that they are suitable for outdoor use
- – Do not use lights that are faulty.
- – Switch off Christmas lights when going to bed and when leaving the house.
- – Make sure sockets are not overloaded.
- – Keep flexes out of sight and reach of children.
- – Place candles in a safe place – away from curtains, blinds and draughts – and out of reach of children.
- – Never leave burning candles unattended.
- – Always supervise children in a room where candles are lit.
- – Never move a lit candle.
- – Keep matches, cigarette lighters etc out of sight and reach of children.
- – Remember, the points above apply to anything with a flame, including oil/fragrance burners, incense sticks etc.
To take a fire safety survey please visit www.guardiansafetytraining.ie/fire-safety-survey.